The United States and China are two of the largest economies in the world, with a combined GDP of $32.7 trillion. In addition, their populations combined makeup over 40% of the world’s total population and therefore almost half of all global economic activity.
These two countries have been partnering together for years on initiatives that promote growth in industries like aerospace and tourism, but perhaps one of their most exciting endeavors is the collaboration between American schools in China which has been steadily growing over recent years as well.
An overview of American schools in China
An American school in China is an institution that follows the United States curriculum, with English as its primary language of instruction. The goal of these schools is to provide their students with a high-quality education and prepare them for entry into colleges and universities back in the U.S.
They are also meant to help children from all over the world become more globally aware and develop cross-cultural awareness. In addition to the curriculum, these schools also provide extra-curricular activities and clubs. They have a wide range of sports teams, including soccer, basketball, baseball and volleyball.
How many American Schools are there in China
Different sources provide different figures in regard to the exact number. Some sources say that there are over 100 American Schools in China. However, other sources put the number closer to 80.
The majority of schools are located in Beijing and Shanghai, but they can be found all over the country. They are organized into districts, with each district having its own Board of Directors. The majority of the schools are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Most of them are affiliated with a university, although some are independent from any entity. The schools are committed to the educational needs of both Chinese and international students. They offer classes ranging from preschool through high school, with the majority being in elementary and middle school.
They’re usually expensive and private schools, but often offer financial aid programs for students who qualify for them.
4 Examples of American Schools in China
American International School of Guangzhou
The American International School of Guangzhou (AISG) is one of the largest international schools in China. AISG was founded in 1994 and now serves over 1,800 students from more than 40 countries. The school offers a rigorous curriculum that covers kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as post-secondary education and dual-enrollment programs with local universities.
Students can participate in an array of clubs and activities throughout the week, including yearbook club, student council and others designed to encourage leadership skills while providing opportunities for growth.
Dalian American International School (DAIS)
This is an American international school in Dalian, Liaoning Province, China. The school opened in 2009 and serves Kindergarten through 12th grade. It is a full- day school with two campuses: the International School and the Chinese Program Campus.
The International School campus offers students access to a large science lab, library, computer lab and art room. Students have opportunities to participate in sports teams at both the middle school and high school levels as well as music programs that include marching band, orchestra and chorus classes.
Fudan International School
Located in Shanghai, China, the school serves Kindergarten through 12th grade. FIS has two campuses: the International School and the Chinese Program Campus. This International School offers students access to a large science lab, library, computer lab and art room. Students have opportunities to participate in sports teams at both the middle school and high school levels as well as music programs that include marching band, orchestra and chorus classes.
Concordia International School Shanghai
This is a private, co-educational K-12 school in Shanghai, China. The school offers an American curriculum and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Concordia International School Shanghai’s campus includes an outdoor playground, computer lab and art room. Students have opportunities to participate in sports teams at both the middle school and high school levels as well as music programs that include marching band, orchestra and chorus classes.
The benefits of teaching at an American school in China?
- You teach in a safe, clean environment. You’ll have access to a wide range of school facilities, including sports fields and gyms. You’ll teach English to students from around the world who are eager to learn.
- You teach at a school with a strong reputation. You’ll be part of a community that includes local and international teachers. You can travel around China, exploring new places and cultures.
- You can benefit from the school’s alumni network. You can work with other teachers to plan extracurricular activities for your students. You’ll have access to free accommodation, which is often provided by the school. This can include a fully furnished apartment or house with utilities included.
The challenges to expect
As you embark on this journey, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- You will have to learn Chinese. This is often the most difficult part of living in China and can take months or even years. It’s not just learning a new language; it’s learning how the language works within the culture and what kind of words mean what.
- New culture. Some people have found it hard to adapt to a new environment, food, and general lifestyle.
- When you teach English in China, it means you might be away from family and friends. It is important to teach while saving money to visit back.
How to get a teaching job at an American school in China
- Get the right certification. Most teaching in China requires that you have a TEFL, which is issued by the International TEFL Certification Institute.
- Prepare your resume. The key to a great resume is to highlight your experience and skills. If you don’t have any teaching experience, focus on other areas of expertise such as teaching English as a second language (ESL), volunteer work or tutoring. Have an interview ready.
- Apply for all necessary documents before leaving your home country.
- Learn about China and its laws. It’s essential that you have a good understanding of Chinese culture, history and laws.
In conclusion, American schools in China have made a great impact on Chinese society. The Chinese culture has been influenced by these schools as they have changed and adapted to different cultures. The American schools have also made an impact on the Chinese economy as they provide jobs for many people.